Running through October!

    This blog post marks my first full month of community service here in New Orleans! I’ve been volunteering as an assistant coach at a local elementary school for Girls on the Run. Each practice is split in half between running and engaging in activities to teach the girls different life skills. The girls’ favorite activity this month was crumpling a piece of paper and stating an example of bullying. The next girl had to try to flatten the paper while stating a way she could appropriately handle that particular incidence if it were to happen to her. The girls get very animated and enjoy when the coaches come up with games to facilitate the lessons each practice. All of the coaches assigned to my same school are also my classmates in the Pharmacology program! It's been a lot of fun taking on these coaching responsibilities together and getting to know my classmates better outside of school.

    The end of the season is fast approaching! Next month, my team will participate in the Girls on the Run 5K that we have been training for the last few months. Yesterday was their practice 5K, and they were excited to see their own progress. In the spirit of Halloween, we gave each girl a plastic spider ring for each lap she completed and vampire teeth when she rounded the corner of her final lap. (Nothing motivates an 8 year old to run more than a pair of plastic neon fangs waiting at the finish line). We’ve got a few more weeks of practice until the real 5K, but I’ll be sure to post an update on November’s entry!

    As far as school goes, I’ve been adjusting my study habits and have finally found a method that works for me. This program is difficult not because of the material, but because of the sheer volume of information we have to know. I’ve been practicing a lot of self-discipline and study for the majority of the day everyday so that I stay afloat! My work has paid off so far, and I’m pleased with my past few block exam grades. Our next block exam is on renal and cardiovascular pharmacology, historically the hardest exam. Needless to say I will be celebrating Halloween from the inside of Matas Library! No worries though because with Thanksgiving just around the corner, a break is in sight!

October Service Hours: 20
Cumulative Service Hours: 20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March

January

February