March

Everyone warned me this program would fly by, but I didn’t realize just how quickly it would pass! We only have one more month until we’re done with classes, and I only have one more week as a Girls on the Run Coach in New Orleans. This past month, the girls worked more on their endurance and learned more life skills. One game the girls played this month was all about bullying and standing up for others. One coach gave them a scenario (like someone drops their lunch tray in front of the whole fifth grade in the cafeteria) and the girls had to run across the field to me and say how they would stand up for that person. It’s always fun seeing their individual personalities shine through when answering questions like that. In addition, the girls had their practice 5K. We always write a lap goal on their hands every practice (see picture) so they have something to keep them motivated. Most girls were able to finish, and I know they’ll be ready for the real 5K in just one short week. 

Another very important aspect of Girls on the Run is their annual community service project. Each team chooses a charity then plans an event in order to raise money for their chosen charity. My girls have chosen to support the local animal shelter by selling cookies and lemonade right outside their school on Thursday. The girls have to work together to plan who’s bringing what and how they’ll price their items. The coaches just act as moderators. It’s rewarding to see their communication and leadership skills evolve to this point throughout the season. Fingers crossed for a successful fundraiser and 5K!

This month also wrapped up our Medical Pharmacology and Principles courses. We took the NBME a few weeks ago, and that counts as our final in the class. As I went back through all my notes studying, it really hit me the immense volume of material that we’ve covered in this program. I feel like I’ve learned so much, and it was all material that I find so interesting and relevant to my future career.

I’m starting to feel sentimental as this year comes to an end, so I’m going to try to make the most of this final month!

Volunteer hours this month: 12
Total hours: 34

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

January

February